Organisation: Here for Good/The AIRE Centre
EUSS Caseworker/Volunteer Coordinator: Maternity Cover
Here for Good is a strategic legal charity established in 2018, dedicated to securing and upholding the rights of migrants by providing high-quality, free legal advice by specialist lawyers..
We work in innovative partnerships to provide legal support to those most-in need, and to fight against unjust and unlawful policies. Our work currently focuses on the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) and Ukraine Advice Scheme. The legal teams are based across expert partner law firms and organisations in London and the East Midlands, with their lawyers falling under those organisations’ supervisory and regulatory structures..
Here for Good is known as the ‘go-to’ organisation for complex cases in the sector and we are extremely proud to have successfully supported thousands to secure their immigration status in the UK and impacted tens of thousands more through our strategic litigation work
The AIRE Centre is a specialist legal charity founded in 1993. It uses the power of European law to protect fundamental individual rights through specific, targeted action in the following areas:
- Litigation – Using litigation and Third Party Interventions strategically in order to develop and establish precedent-setting cases on behalf of migrants before both the European Court and the UK courts.
- Education – This includes training and conferences on European and human rights law in the UK and Europe.
- Advice – Providing free, independent, confidential and impartial advice for individuals, their legal advisors, and other civil society organisations, around EU and Immigration law. The AIRE Centre also runs a letter writing project with a number of city firms that assist with capacity.
- Policy – Engaging in non-legal advocacy with the aim to improve policies and practices that affect people’s legal rights and in particular raising awareness of European law rights, such as the Modern Slavery Bill.
About the Role
Salary: £25,359 – £26,625 per annum (dependent on experience) + 3% workplace pension contribution + 25 days annual leave (FTE)
Hours: Full-time, job share/flexible arrangements possible
Contract: 10 months fixed term maternity cover contract, with possibility of extension. Early July 2023 – early May 2024
Location: Central London/Hybrid
Reports to: Here for Good EUSS caseworker colleagues & Senior Management Team; and
the AIRE Centre Director & Immigration Supervisor
We are looking for a highly motivated and driven individual to join the Here for Good EUSS advice team as a caseworker and volunteer coordinator on a maternity cover basis for ten months. The post is based at the AIRE Centre.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a central role in the ongoing work tackling one of Brexit’s most complex issues.
This position will involve a mix of an operational and oversight role – growing and managing Here for Good’s network of volunteer lawyers, and an immigration casework role – providing immigration advice and assistance to in-need Europeans and their family members.
- To provide free immigration advice to in-need European nationals and their family members, and assist them to make applications under the EU Settlement Scheme
- To share responsibility for answering Here for Good’s EUSS advice line, providing one-off advice
- To receive, coordinate and manage referrals to the Here for Good EUSS advice service from partner organisations such as charities, CABs and local authorities
- To recruit and manage Here for Good’s network of volunteer solicitors and barristers
- To filter and means-test new enquiries and match new clients with suitable volunteer lawyers
- To ensure Here for Good’s existing volunteer lawyers feel supported and valued
- To develop relationships with new volunteer lawyers and firms, and onboard them to Here for Good’s network
- To measure the impact and outcome of Here for Good’s casework and report back to Here for Good’s Senior Management Team
- To collaborate with and support other members of Here for Good’s team, such as with communications and fundraising work
- To assist with other tasks, as required
- An intelligent and highly-motivated person who has the ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Strong commitment to Here for Good and the AIRE Centre’s charitable aims
- Experience conducting legal casework
- Knowledge and understanding of European Free Movement Law, the EU Settlement Scheme and Appendix EU
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with clients with complex needs
- Experience conducting administrative work
- Experience developing and maintaining partnerships
- Ability to work independently with a proven ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team
- Ability to use computer and information technology including Microsoft Office and management information systems
- Ability to work on confidential matters, with a strong understanding of client confidentiality and data protection
- An understanding of the problems which face Here for Good’s client base
- Willingness to undertake immigration accreditation examinations (OISC/IAAS)
- Fluency in European and/or additional languages
- Experience of working with interpreters
- OISC/IAAS accreditation
- Experience using CharityLog
- Experience of managing multiple stakeholders including volunteers and partner organisations
Application Process: To apply, please send your CV and covering letter (no more than 1.5 A4 pages) setting out your interest in the role by email to email@example.com. The closing date for receipt of applications is 9am Wednesday 31st May 2023. Interviews will take place online that same week.